Tuesday, July 13, 2010

White That Glows in the Night

I’m driving to my mom’s house late at night to borrow her truck (for an unknown reason), although I’m afraid I may be visiting too late, as she may already be asleep. On my way through her rural neighborhood, I slow down several times thinking I see deer in the woods near the road. At first, all I see is eye shine, then a few of the deer draw closer and I see that they are covered in bright white fur that seems to glow in the moonlight. I stop to allow a few deer to cross, noticing that their fur is even brighter when they pass in front of the headlights; A dark skinned man follows after them, dressed in a suit and top hat that is the same bright white shade as the deer’s fur. He pauses in the road to smile eerily at me, holding his thumb and index finger up to his left eye in the shape of an “L.” This gives me chills, even more so when I realize there are several others just like him (along with the white deer) along the left side of the road. The men seem to be going door to door like salesmen, and as I continue towards my mom’s place, I notice several people standing in the entryways of their homes in a trance-like state, staring at a man in white.

I hurry to my mom’s, hoping that the men haven’t made it to her house, spotting other strange creatures in the woods at the end of her road; Some appeared to be large owls with huge, crooked eyes. Pulling up to my mom’s, I find that I’m unable to park in the driveway because her hot tub is on a trailer in the middle of the driveway [she doesn’t actually own one in real life]. I carefully drive around it and park in the yard, noticing that most of the lights in the house are still on. The front door is slightly ajar, so I walk in to find my mom and sister, Kim, in the kitchen cooking dozens of batches of cookies. My mom greets me happily and asks if I would like some cookies. She explains that they have several types, “Chocolate chip, macadamia nut, peanut butter, raisin… and Kimberly even made pot cookies!” Confused that my Sunday-school-teaching mother would be amused at pot cookies, I examine said cookies to find that they have balls of what appears to be fried batter cooked into them. I instead take one of the chocolate chip cookies.
[Note: "Pot Cookies" reference directly related to a conversation a friend had with her sister yesterday about pot cookies you can apparently get in California.]

I ask why the hot tub is on a trailer in the driveway and Mom says that a man is coming to pick it up later. She doesn’t mention whether or not someone bought it, which leads me to believe that the men in white have already visited, causing this strange behavior. I ask if Dad knows about this [apparently they are still married in my dream] and she calmly says, “He’s in bed sleeping.” Kim adds crossly, “With his Sensei.” I immediately recognize Dad’s “Sensei” to be his karate teacher [which he doesn’t actually have] whom he idolizes. Peaking into Mom’s bedroom, I see Dad sleeping on one side of their king size bed and a muscular guy with a shaved head sleeping on the other side. Mom asks me to get something from the bedroom floor, so I tip-toe inside, but still manage to wake up my Dad. He asks what I’m doing and I angrily ask what HE’s doing letting that man sleep in my mother’s bed. I wake before he has a chance to defend himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment